GLOBAL FUSION 2011
I organized a panel for this international conference, hosted in 2011 by Temple University in Philadelphia.
Resistance and "the Future": Should We Be Optimists, Pessimists, Humanists, Nihilists … ?
• Drawing from theorists such as Debord, Virilio, Sagan, Sartre, McLuhan, Lyotard, and Baudrillard, this panel speculated on the pessimism, optimism, humanism, and nihilism expressed in various works of art, film, technology, and scientific discovery.
• Singularity and Collapse: Optimism in the Post-Millennial World Order, Tristan Brown (Temple Univ)
• Resistance and Future Shock in Science-Fiction Films, Osei Alleyne (Temple Univ)
• Art, Angst, and Acceptance in Post-Millennial Expression, Jarice Hanson (UMass-Amherst)
• Metanarratives in Meaningless Universe?, Barry Vacker (Temple Univ) View PDF